Search This Blog

Saturday, August 19, 2023

My Ideas for a Red, White, and Royal Blue Limited Series

 If you've read what I've said so far about the Red, White, and Royal Blue film, you know that I think it would have been so much better if they had made an 8- to 10-episode limited series rather than a 2 hour movie. It would have given the characters more room to grow and develop and would have allowed them to be more faithful to the book in terms of plotlines and characters. I think that most of the big problems with the movie would have been solved with this change.

I suspect that the big reason they didn't make a limited series is it would probably be more expensive because you would have had to pay people for more work, it would have taken longer to write and record, etc. And I get that, but given the weaknesses present in the movie, it would have been worth it IMNSHO.

All that said, what I really want to do is to sketch out how I would pace out the episodes if a limited series were to be done. I am basing it off of the book which I haven't read in a bit, so I may be missing some incidents or forget which incidents were only in the movie. These won't be detailed, but hopefully enough to give people an idea of what would happen. I don't have any screen writing experience or training, so these may not be the best places to break in some respects. If you have alternate ideas, I would be very interested to hear them. 

Episode 1- Introduce all the characters, the wedding, end with the cake falling

Episode 2- Alex and Henry are forced to pretend to be friends, Alex visits England, the hospital

Episode 3- Alex and Henry start texting, Thanksgiving turkey, New Year's party, end with Henry kissing Alex

Episode 4- Alex trying to figure out what the kiss with Henry meant; Alex, Nora, and June invited to work on the presidential campaign; the British prime minister visits; Alex and Henry kiss in the Red Room and have sex in Alex's bedroom

Episode 5- Alex and Henry continue to meet and hook-up, smutty emails go back and forth, Luna announces he's Richard's VP pick, Alex and Henry meet at the DNC, end with Zahra finding Henry in Alex's room

Episode 6- Alex comes out to his mom and is fired from the campaign, the PowerPoint presentation, Alex and Henry visit Texas, end with Henry sneaking away from Texas

Episode 7- Alex tries to figure out what went wrong and flies to England to get Henry back, the museum, end with the emails being hacked

Episode 8- Nora works to find out who hacked the emails, Alex flies to London to be with Henry, Henry and his mother confront the monarch, President Claremont wins reelection, end with Henry and Alex visiting Alex's childhood home

I did leave out a few things: Nora and June acting as beards and Alex and Henry being photographed together kissing in a car being the big ones. I couldn't quite remember where they were in the book, but they could probably be thrown in where appropriate. And obviously there were a lot of smaller events (Alex visiting Luna in the Senate Office Building, Henry's interactions with the presidential campaign staff, etc.) that I didn't list but can be placed where appropriate. I was going for a more high-level overview of the series as a whole.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any thoughts. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment