Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

Got to see The Amazing Spider-Man Tuesday night and I loved it.  I liked the Tobey Maguire versions (1 and 2 were great, 3 was meh) just fine, but Andrew Garfield blew Tobey Maguire out of the water.  Tobey played a more angst-ridden, brooding, moody teenager version of Spider-Man whereas Andrew played a sarcastic, smartass outsider Spider-Man and I think this was much better.  He was broody when needed, but he also had Peter having alot more fun when he discovered his abilities.  And his chemistry with Emma Stone (who plays Gwen Stacy) was nothing to sneeze at.  The two of them made the romantic scenes sizzle seemingly effortlessly.

I think the tone I mentioned above made a big difference in the movie.  Having a more sarcastic version of Peter Parker/Spider-Man just made the whole movie alot more fun.  For example, in one scene while chasing down a supposed car thief, Garfield serves up several zippy one-liners and then proceeds to use his web to tie the thief to the wall while continuing his little commentary.  He was obviously having a great deal of fun, and that made the whole experience alot better.  Basically, take the outsider who throws quips and one-liners out extensively when they are being beaten, and that is Peter Parker.  Quite nifty.

Don't want to say too much, because I don't want to spoil anyone, but I would highly reccomend giving this movie a shot.  If you didn't like Tobey Maguire's take on Spider-Man, I think you'll find this a refreshing change and alot of fun.  If you see it, please let me know what you thought.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment